domingo, 18 de diciembre de 2011

Thoughts about buying a new device...

As some people may already know, my beloved DHD is dead (details here )

I've been thinking about my options now. The following post is a collection of random thoughts and rants. This is not a call for money, not even close. In fact this is the opposite thing: let me explain.

There are a lot of people interested in me having another DHD to continue development of BlackICE. This would be a good (and fair) option, first because it is still a great device and second because it has one of the best communities on XDA. There is one of the most active devices on ICS and I was lately thinking in targeting to a BlackICE ICS build.

These people has been generously giving me some money in the aim of me buying this device again. I am very grateful for that. On the other side, of course as a gadget enthusiast and developer I would like to have some new hardware to experiment with.

As I don't want pressure for taking a decision, I have just decided to return money for any post-dhd-mortem donation. It is the fair thing to do, as I'm not developing nothing for DHD right now.

The problem is the usual: budget.

When I got my DHD it was at a very very low price. About 100 euros. That price a year ago was insanely low. Why? At least in my country, some operators offer their devices at a very reduced price at a cost of keeping you as a customer for almost 2 years. Yes: I have to keep my operator for the next year. If I manage to break, loose or brick my phone, I'm on my own... and still paying monthly data fees without an internet device!

On the other side, if I buy some DHD in the free market, it costs around 400-500 €. That is about 50 € less than a SGS2. Or 150 € less than a Galaxy Nexus.

So to end with this rant: I don't want money from users. There's not enough money to buy a new DHD, and i think it doesn't worth it. And I don't want partial donations of people with expectations about me having again a DHD.

The most probable thing is: If i get into negotiations with the operator and manage to get a new device, that's what I will do. First thing I asked for is another DHD for a reduced price, but there's no stock of DHD with this formula.

If not, I would buy a second hand device. I'm negotiating with some people to get a SGS2 for around 300 €. I prefer to buy one 2nd hand SGS2 for 300 than a 2nd hand DHD for almost the same price.

My third option (and it is the more likely to happen) is to buy an outdated android device in the meantime. I have an offer for a Nexus S (not so outdated!) for 150 € but I think I can get it for 100€. Nexus S is a great device, only 256 MB RAM less than DHD and an ICS OTA coming these days.

The option I chose is irrelevant for DHD community. My development will be focused on ICETool and I will be always willing to help the people asking in the thread.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario